Service Dog Update:
Pursuing a service dog has been an emotional roller coaster for us from the beginning. From not being accepted from the first organization to having to wait over a year to find out if we would receive one. During the waiting period, our prayers were answered and JW's seizures have been absent. We have done a lot of fund raising so we could be ready to provide the funds for a dog when the time came to be placed with one. With JW not having seizures, it will be very difficult to train the dog and would basically become just a well trained family dog. We received our acceptance letter and our family has discussed our options intently and came to a decision and asked that we not receive the dog at this time but to be left on the list in the event that the seizures come back. Cares has been great with helping us come to this decision and we will continue to be at the top of the list. If we decide to go with a dog, we would not be on the waiting list, but placed in the next class available. We felt that these dogs are trained for a specific purpose and for us to obtain the dog as a family dog that would take that opportunity away from another family. There is a great deal of work that goes into a service dog and we are very willing to go the distance, if the need for the dog arises again. However, at this time in our lives the dog is not needed. We greatly appreciate everyone's support and donations and if the need arises, we will still have everything in place ready to go. Next fall we have an EEG scheduled to see what his activity is doing and discuss taking him off meds. We will stay on the list a great period after the test and med decision is made. And honestly, I hope the need never arises!!!